We made it to the finish line!
Happy Father’s Day! I asked Shawn if he enjoyed his Father’s Day breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express this morning. He had one of their buttery cinnamon rolls fresh out of the plastic tray, a real banana, and a piece of their gourmet sausage which he put on a previously frozen biscuit. Oh and two plastic cups of water. Then he grabbed a cup of freshly brewed “weak sauce” coffee. Mmmm. A meal to remember, I am sure. And I bet the coffee was just fine. Somehow we just grew used to a strong cup of coffee.
So we have been on the road today- all day. We have been meeting our goal today of fast stops and fast driving. We should get to Oklahoma City around 6pm. I am typing from the road right now and I will just post it tonight (hopefully). It already feels strange to be back. I really feel far away now (from Alaska, that is). I miss the mountains and the cooler temps. Today it was 100 degrees as we left Amarillo, TX. Now it is 4:30pm and it is 94. The wind is just whipping our car as we drive on the highway, too. I forgot about the wind. You know what else I had forgotten all about? Those sun shades you put in your car windshield. I saw one today. I forgot about those!
We just pit-stopped and as Nicholas was getting back in the car he said, “I am burning my back!” He’s right. It is hot hot hot. OH, Another cute little Nick-ism from today, as he was playing with his ears…”I can make it into a hot dog bun.” Even on the last day of the trip, he is learning something new.
So we got a call when we were in Vegas that our household goods will not be arriving this week like we were planning. Nope. We should have them by the 28th, maybe sooner. It didn’t take us long to come up with our new plan. We already have a house in OKC, but even though it will be empty we are going to just camp in the house until our stuff arrives. We just can’t take living in a hotel for another two nights, let alone two weeks. We might have to do it for two nights though to get our bearings and some groceries, etc. Dan and Katie are going to lend us air mattresses. Our new house has a fridge and a washer and dryer. Honestly, the W&D is probably what we need most! Stella’s piggy is really gross. I washed it- twice- at Jay and Mindi’s. But you know, that was a week ago. W each have one or two more clean outfits left. Then all we will need are some small items that I think we can get on loan. If not…Target, here we come! We will probably look there for a card table to use as our kitchen table. We have wanted one for years. Might as well get it now. So I will most likely be taking a blogging break. Just know we are here and all doing great. Things will start to get “normal” again soon. I wonder how many days it will take to be standing still and not feel like I am still moving. I have had this sensation every night since we got off the ferry!
In case you were wondering, we wouldn’t have traded this experience of driving for a quick flight home. We have see so much.
Alaska- glaciers, mountains, bears
Ferry ride- remote locations of Alaska and Canada, orkas, whales, eagles soaring
Pacific NW- green, mountains, traces of logging industry
West Coast- from Oregon to LA it is a different landscape every couple of hours
California- agriculture in every form: cattle, rice, nut and fruit orchards; yellow dry grass
Vegas- grandiose hotels, lights,
Sedona- Red rocks, natural beauty
Grand Canyon- truly a “wonder” of the natural world
Hoover Dam- easily a “wonder” of the industrial world
Southwest- desert land of AZ and NM
Northern panhandle of TX- flat lands, heat, agriculture
Oklahoma- windy, hot, Braum’s ice cream, and gas at $3.89/gal
5 comments:
Okay, gas here is $4.19. But, go to the doc and let them know how you are feeling. I felt that way too and have some prescription strenth Dramamine. It helped SOOOOO much!! I HATE that feeling and can't imagine dealing with it for a few days! I hope it subsides for you.
YAY! Congratulations on making the trip!! We drove to AK and would not have traded the memories for anything! We stopped every between OKC and the ferry. What a great adventure!
Good luck getting settled back into a house and a normal routine! I'll be out in OKC in August to visit my friends. Maybe I'll stop by!!!
Hey there, so glad to hear you made it. I am sure it was a wonderful trip - I hope the transition is easy for everyone. I really enjoyed reading about your trip. The other day I was talking to Nicki and she said have you read Katie's Blog lately - She had been checking it everyday to see where you all were. I thought it was funny - yesterday I said I hadn't seen it since the Big Hollow Tree Picture and she said OH, I have read the post since then. SO she was up on it better than I was. Anyway Welcome Back to the Lower 48! I will talk to you soon.
Ok, good. You made it. Where are the adorable pictures of Stella and Nick. I liked how you went through each place you had been and indicated the highlights. You've inspired me to do the same:
Columbus, OH - affordable housing, lots of yuppies, football, bum fights
TAG! You're it! Check out my blog for instructions.
Post a Comment