Well, our first full day on the ship is coming to a close. We are all sitting in our pjs in our “deluxe” four berth room. Ahhh. Shawn and Stella are playing with her new special toy that she got today. It is a little Fisher-Price phone. I am, well, on the MacBook. Nicholas is playing with his new special toy, a Leapster. I can’t believe we bought this for him. Yes, a handheld video game seems to go against our parenting principles, but it is quite educational! Right now he is jumping on the letters as they pass on logs in the river. Think Frogger with an educational twist. He is hooked. Uh-oh. Little does he know we got the Backyardigans game for free and it will be his when we get back on the road again. Between this toy and the LeapFrog Letter Factory DVDs, this kid should be reading when we get to OK.
Oh, our wildlife count is up- Shawn and Stella spotted a humpback whale, we saw three orca, and DOZENS of dolphins (or something that looks like a dolphin) this evening from the ship.
After lunch we docked in Sitka, AK. A beautiful little town. We had enough time in port to get off the ship and take a shuttle bus to town. We only had an hour in town- good thing town is tiny. We toured the Russian Orthodox church. It had a nice sized display of ornate icons and art from the early 1800s. Then we strolled through the streets. Shawn bought some chocolate fudge. I bought some quarter flats of fabric and a couple other craft supplies. I am a craft addict I think. Seriously, fabric in Sitka? Did I really need that? But the town was sooooo darn cute. It would be fun to pack up and move there for a few years. Just to experience their way of life. I think it would be fun, anyway.
Now we are back at sea stopping in Petersburg around 1am and Wrangell around 5am. I hope we will be awake to see the ship carefully maneuver through the dozens of markers. It is almost nerve-racking to watch this huge ship manage its way with all the tight turns.
So goodnight from the Inside Passage.
No comments:
Post a Comment