Sunday, June 29, 2008

Two nights in our own beds!!

Stuff came Friday morning. The movers were "done" by noon. (what the?) And we started unpacking the 302 boxes and pieces that were dumped in our house.
- Believe it or not, we have everything unpacked except for two boxes and several picture boxes (flat). Oh wait! I forgot about the garage FULL of boxes and junk! But I don't see that because it is outside...so it seems all put away to me. I also have filled up a box to donate, a box of JUNK that we need to sift through, and two boxes of clothes that the kids have already grown out of.
- I just through stuff in kitchen drawers to get the boxes out of that room. Consequently, I am navigating a little slowly in that room.
- We put Nick and Stella in a bedroom together. This has been the best decision. The would-be-bedroom is now a toy room. The kids love it. It keeps them occupied and gives them their own space. I like keeping the toys somewhat contained to one area of the house. We got that room set up the first night. When the kids woke up on Saturday, it was like Christmas for them. They hadn't seen those toys for over a month. Perfect. This gave Shawn and I hours to get the rest of the boxes emptied. - - We still have lots to do, but I never thought we would have made THIS much progress in just three days. Whew.

- So we met some neighbors tonight. They are nice. They were quite curious about us.
- They have been talking- wondering what kind of people we were since we never saw this house before we bought it and wondering WHAT we have been doing in this house with no furniture for two weeks. If they didn't know we had an empty house before, they knew on Friday when that huge truck pulled up out front!
- They were interested in Alaska. We got to reminisce. It was nice. I was imagining what everyone up there was doing tonight with all the daylight!! Miss you all so much.

Another thing...I was telling my friend this tonight...I have been really surprised to see how many parents here do not hesitate to smack or spank their children out in public. (or yell and scream at them. Mean words, too.) I see this every time I am out. And these parents aren't hiding in an aisle, they are in the checkout lines (which are miles long here) and right out in the wide open. Yesterday I saw a family pushing the cart along the store and the mom stops walking to grab her kid and spank his butt. Lifted him right off the ground! Last week I watched this young "girl" smack her preschooler repeatedly until she cried. Mind you thar was at 10pm. My kids were in bed. I don't think my guys would be pleasant at that hour either. I wasn't. I'll admit, I have swatted Nick's hiney a few times out of complete frustration, but that's just it. It is my frustration and I know that. I am SO FORTUNATE to have been surrounded by and "raised" by some wonderful mothers back in Eagle River. Your children are joyful and loving and it is a reflection of your nurturing and patience and interest in them. Our children always played so well together and if they struggled, we encouraged sharing, taking turns, and politeness. My kids always had a safe environment in which to play. Thank you. Thank you for teaching me the ways of being a mom. (I miss you guys TONS, too! )

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love what you had to say about us up here in Alaska! I wish so much that I could have been there the last night that you were in Alaska! Hopefully we can plan a girls trip sometime next year and make some time to see each other.
Miss you too!

MarthaJeanTheMeanMachine said...

Ok, so you see people smacking their kids? Big deal! Go to the west side of Columbus. You'll see people snorting lines off the back of some hooker's thigh. See, now a little smack doesn't seem so bad now does it?

Michele said...

I read your last post too and am commenting on both:
so, are you sure he isn't going to start Kindergarten this year?? He is so smart to be spelling and reading already. I'd love some tips. Mikayla and I just argue when I try to teach her to read. She can spell some simple words too, but she is also 5.
I'm so glad you are getting some good work done. I don't mind unpacking in the beginning, but after you get the basics out, I get sick of it REAL quick! Good luck getting it all done.
I can't believe you've seen so much bad parenting! I have spanked out of frustration too and have also noticed it doesn't resolve the issue at hand...they learn to fear your hand or use force themselves. Taking away privlages works best. I've learned alot from you as well. Miss you TONS!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lady,
Your blog has been great to read, I am happy your getting all set up in your new place. When you have a moment please send me your phone # and address. Everything is good up here, rainy and cloudy. Kids are sad, Colleen and her crew moved last weekend, so it will take more getting use to. Love & miss you tons, Mary