Saturday, May 2, 2009

Tornado Ready but I hope we never have to use it!


Friday we got our tornado shelter installed. That is a picture of the shelter before it was installed in the garage floor. The crew showed up promptly at 8am to begin tearing up our garage floor.


The day was not without trials of my nerves. First, it began raining. If it rains they have to stop working. Luckily, we waited it out and it just sprinkled. Otherwise we would have been left with a 6 ft hole in our garage. Whew. Then I asked for a wheelbarrow full of my own dirt for my little garden. One guy brought it around and we dumped it in. Then the next guy brought me a bent piece of copper pipe and pointed out a "clean break" in the line and told me to check my house. Me-"Um for what?" Him- "Might be a gas line." Holy shmoly! I came around to the hole, smelled gas, halted the digging, and called the gas company. Then the guy decided the pipe might be a water line. Called the water company, they didn't care. We checked the water pressure in the house and didn't see the hole filling up so we ruled that out. By that time, that "gas" smell was gone in my opinion and we resumed digging. Meanwhile the gas company dispatched 5 different trucks and equipment to my house. Everyone agreed that the copper line was probably trash left over from the 1999 tornado (that wiped out the neighborhood). Whew.

**Some things I learned: cannot build over a gas line; if it were a gas line we would have heard a loud pop when it busted; the hole would have filled up with gushing water if it were a water line; and my senses are waaay off being pregnant- exhaust from the backhoe smelled like natural gas.

Our guys had to eventually call in some reinforcements around 4pm to help get the shelter in due to all the set backs. But by 6:30pm we had our storm shelter. Perfect, because we were under a tornado warning at the time!

1 comment:

Michele said...

Ugh! I think that is the one and only thing I DON'T miss from OK! Glad you were able to get that in!